Thursday, August 17, 2006

Lesley Scheuber

Mrs. Bosch

English 10 Honors

13 July 2006

Assignment 2

Everyone has differences or flaws that set them apart from

others. There are various reasons why people behave or act

differently than one another. The location and family life of someone

is a huge impact on the kind of person one becomes. People from

small towns may behave differently than people in large towns

because the lack or gain of diversity. People from large towns may

have different hobbies than those from small. Also, people who live

along the coast or near a lake may have different hobbies than those

of us who live in the valley or a desert. In fact, a person’s heritage is

a large factor in the shaping of someone, also. People from different

heritages may eat special food or have different traditions than

others. There are many reasons for why each person is their own

individual. The area in which one lives or the people one is around

influences the person someone will become. I am different from

others because I come from a small family, a small town, and a

unique heritage.


I have a much smaller family than most people. To be exact, I

have less than 15 immediate family members. Rather than having

family on both my mom and dad’s side, I have family on only my

dad’s side. Out of six grandchildren, I am the youngest and the only

girl. Therefore, I have grown up with boys my whole life. Growing

up with all boys has really shaped my personality. I am more

comfortable around boys than girls, and I enjoy sports and rough

housing. Because I am so comfortable with being near the male

gender, I have many close guy friends. In addition, like boys, I do

not show signs of physical pain. If I had grown up around girls, I

would probably a pretty girl who is afraid to get dirty. Also, having

a small family makes me really close and appreciative of the family I

have. I am very open with my family, and I joke around a lot. A

majority of my friends who have big families tell me they feel very

awkward and bored at family events or dinners. Having such a

small, accepting family has allowed me to be very outgoing in any

situation and to see where my personality came from. Since I take a

great joy in my small family, I would like to have a small family of

my own in the future.


Where you live has a great impact on the person one becomes. I

have lived in this small town of Patterson since birth. Growing up in

Patterson is the greatest factor in influencing the person I am now.

I get the opportunity to walk around town feeling safe and free

oppose to people in areas around Oakland, San Jose, and Los

Angeles. Patterson does not have nearly as many violent gangs as

those places. There have been tragedies here, but I still feel that

growing up in a small town has sheltered me from the dangers of

gangs. That can be good and bad. In some ways it is good because I

do not have to live my life in fear or paranoia. Yet, sometimes I

should be more cautious in my actions because no one is ever

guaranteed safety. To those who live in urban cities, Patterson is

dull and boring. It is true at times I am stuck not having much to

do, but that allows me to spend my time on homework and athletics.

If I lived in a busy city with something always going on, with my

outgoing personality, I would not get any of my homework done. I

am happy with my success in academics, and I credit that to living in

a small town.


My heritage affects who I am on the outside and on the inside. I

am mainly Portuguese and Swiss. I look more Swiss than I do

Portuguese. I have light brown hair, fair skin, and blue eyes. So, I

have grown up being typically called a “white girl”. I set apart from

the dominant dark hair and brown eyes. I enjoy being different and

myself but some people make it difficult. I often get picked on for

having fair skin. I also have to endure being called names like a

“weda” or “cracker”. When I was younger, I used to be ashamed of

being light-skinned. I constantly wanted to get tan thinking people

would lay off the jokes. However, I have grown to accept and

appreciate who I am and what I look like. Another old insecurity

was my middle name, Donner. You may recognize it from the

infamous Donner party. Many adults make jokes that I am a

carnivore, and I eat other people. My peers would jest about me

being a reindeer. So growing up, I told people that I did not have a

middle name. I did not want to hear the sarcastic remarks anymore.

Now, I have come to understand that I am who I am. I am related

to people who did what they had to do to survive, and whether or

not I like it, they are my relatives.


Overall, my family, my living conditions, and my heritage are the

main factors of the person I am. I am outgoing and free because I

am giving the opportunity to be that every day. My family

motivates me to be successful in what ever I chose to do. I live a

fearless life, in exception to spiders, because I have not been given a

reason to fear anything. Fortunately, I am active in athletics and in

shape because I have grown up around boys in my family and in

day care. I have the chance to get work done without being left out

of anything. I have become an understanding and accepting person.

I have learned that everyone has their insecurities and flaws, and no

one should be judged by them. I have very close friends because

living in a small town allows you to get to know a handful of people

well oppose to a big town where you have tons of friends that you

have talked to here and there. I am shaped in my own unique way

and no one is exactly like me. Everyone should take pride in

knowing they are special and original.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home